Prep time: 20 minutes
Feeds: 2-4 or one really hungry chef!
8 oz. fresh beef tenderloin
1 tbsp. shallots
1 tsp. capers
1 tsp. Dijon
1 tbsp. fresh shaved horseradish
1 tsp. Tabasco
TT salt & pepper
1 ea. egg yolk
1 tbsp. brandy
½ loaf baguette
4 tbsp. olive oil or clarified butter
It’s imperative that you use fresh beef tenderloin for this. Buy it from a reputable supplier and ensure the colour of the beef is a deep ruby red, without any discolouration, as a result of oxidation. That’s a sign that the beef has been sitting around to long.
- Preheat the oven to 450F
- Mince the shallots and the capers, set aside
- Using a sharp knife, minced the beef into small dice
- Slice the baguette thinly, brush with butter or olive oil, season and bake until crispy, 3-4 minutes
- In a bowl combine the beef and the remaining ingredients, stir until evenly combined
- Adjust the seasoning to your liking, you can also increase the Tabasco, or horseradish, to your liking
- In the picture I set aside the yolk and placed it on top of the steak tartar for presentation purposes, this is definitely optional.
Enjoy this tasty classic, knowing that you have prepared it with the world’s best, and safest beef.