Creamy Goat Cheese Potatoes au Gratin
Makes: enough for 12, but this recipe can easily be cut by half as well
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 45-60 min.
5.5 lbs. peeled potatoes
1.8 lt. heavy cream
300 gr. fresh goat cheese
200 gr. fresh parmesan
10 gr. grated nutmeg
1 tsp. fresh chopped thyme
1 tsp. fresh chopped rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Lightly grease a deep baking pan, preferably 8”X12” or so
- In a pot, combine the cream, goat cheese and parmesan
- Place on the stove and heat gently, stirring to melt the cheese and create a homogenous mixture, be careful not to burn the mixture, or bring it to a boil, you simply want to melt the cheese
- Place the mixture in a large bowl
- Using a food processor with the thinnest blade you have, slice the potatoes thinly, directly into the bowl with the cream, you want to capture the starch from the potatoes in the bowl, as this will allow the cream to slightly thicken while cooking
- Mix all of the potatoes with the cream until everything is evenly combined, seasoning with the nutmeg and salt and pepper as you go. Be sure to season sufficiently
- Place the potato mixture in the baking pan, and gently press the potatoes down evenly to ensure they are all submerged in the cream mixture
- At this point, take the time to wipe down the edges of the pan before it goes into the oven, trust me, your dishwasher will thank you!
- Place in the centre of the oven and bake until the potatoes are fork tender and the top is nicely caramelized, about 45-60 min.
I recommend serving this with Roast Beef or some great steaks, but this dish holds up well with pretty much any meat! Enjoy!